I'm sitting at the boarding gate at Charles de Gaulle airport, waiting for my flight to Minneapolis, which has been delayed about 40 minutes. That's okay, because it gives me a few minutes for one last post as a resident of France.
Since Ann asked, I'll tell you about my last weekend in Paris:
- Saturday afternoon I went to the Marie-Antoinette exhibit at the Grand Palais, with my friend M. The exhibit was fantastic, but you can't see it, because it ends today. (I can only assume that all of life in France will come to a screeching halt immediately after my departure.)
- After the exhibit, M and I sat and chatted over drinks at a sidewalk cafe for a little while, then I bid her au revoir.
- I took a bus from the Champs-Elysées to Gare du Nord--I wanted to avoid the métro, because RER B wasn't running, due to a strike.
- I had a lovely dinner with P and A, including a gorgeous caprese salad the P served up sushi-style, to be eaten with chopsticks. And we lounged around and chatted until it was time for me to catch a train back into Paris. A and I agreed not to say good-bye, pretending that I would see them at church the next morning. But I cried a bit anyway.
- Sunday morning I went to the American Church to say good-bye to everyone there.
- I had to take a bus across the Left Bank, and I realized that I would be getting off right by the Jardin des Plantes, so I took a 15-minute detour to wander through these gardens, which have been on my "to-see" list for years. Now I can cross them off the list, but I definitely want to go back and explore them in more detail some other time!
- I met EJ & Isabelle and their boys, as well as friends N & G and Baby F for a lovely Sunday afternoon picnic in Parc de Choisy.
- I took a bus back to Montorgeuil, so that I would ride past Notre Dame and see the Eiffel Tower down the Seine, rather than being underground for my last tour through Paris.
- After spending the afternoon and early evening getting my many massive suitcases in order, I went out for a slice of pizza, which I took back to EJ & Isabelle's along with a carton of gelato to share. The kids were already in bed, so the three of us sat around chatting and laughing and eating ice cream. A perfect last evening with friends in Paris.
- This morning, I realized I had the choice of either ironing my very wrinkled pants or going out for fresh bread and pastries for my last breakfast in Paris. The pain au chocolat and the croissant were absolutely perfect, and I choose to believe that my pants look elegantly crumpled.
- EJ and Isabelle helped me haul my luggage to the curb, and we said good-bye as I climbed into the taxi to the airport.
I haven't cried (much) yet, but then . . . it was a lovely weekend, and it's been a great six years, and I know I'll be back soon to see everything and everyone in France that I love. Bon voyage to me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am writing this during your last minutes on French soil. I noticed your pants were rather wrinkled :) But I approve of your choice to go for viennoiseries instead of ironing. You certainly chose a gorgeous day to leave Paris. A bientôt.
Post a Comment